Supplies & Procurement
Supplies and Procurement department is a department under Finance Division which is charged with responsibilities of acquiring goods, works and services, storage, issue and disposal of stores.
The main department is currently located behind the main kitchen and just before the security offices. We have affiliate stores in various locations within the Hospital.
The department has its Vision, Mission, Objective and Core values as enumerated below:
To contribute to the success of the Hospital by reducing costs, improving services and optimizing resources available.
To avail quality goods, works and services just in time, at cost effective prices, in the right quantity and from reliable suppliers.
1. To obtain goods, works and services of the right quality, quantity, price from the reliable sources at the right time.
2. Negotiate for competitive prices.
3. To ensure that deliveries are made on time.
4. To develop long term relationship with all stakeholders (user departments, suppliers, government agencies and local community).
5. To develop effective procurement system i.e. integrated computer system (SMS, Smarter Now, etc).
6. To develop procurement personnel by recommending staff for promotion, training, seminars, continuous medical education etc.
7. To adhere to the Public Officer Ethics Act,2003 and the Anti-corruption and Economic crimes Act,2003 and Public Procurement and Disposal Act, 2005
- We will be transparent and accountable.
- Maintain confidentiality of information.
- Maintain high level of integrity and fairness.
- Exercise non-discrimination.
- Embrace on cost effective contracts.
- Maintain good cordial relationship with all stakeholders.
- To adhere to Public Procurement and Disposal Act,2005 and Public Procurement and Disposal Regualations,2006
- To adhere to the Public Officer Ethics act,2003 and the anti-corruption and Economic crimes Act,2003
1. The department is headed by a Supplies and Procurement Manager, who has a wealth of experience in the profession acquired from various well established institutions.He is deputized by a Deputy Supplies and Procurement Manager.
The department has a work force of 56 officers of various designations.
2. The department is now carrying its procurement activities under the following legislations:-
The Public Procurement & Disposal Act, 2005
The Public and Procurement and Disposal Regulations, 2006
The above two legislations have stipulated the various procedures and regulations to be following when undertaking a specific procurement. The department has tried to bring awareness of the Act and Regulations to its members of staff and the wider Hospital.
3. The department has prepared a Supplies and Procurement Regulations/Guidelines manual which is still in draft form awaiting approval by the Director and thereafter to be tabled before the Hospital Board of Management for final approval and adaptation. The manual has been developed with a view of assisting the users understand the procurement procedures, inducting new employees and to assist any other interested stakeholders to understand the procedures and activities of the department.
The department has endeavored to use the new standard documents in preparation of the above tenders. The tenders are scheduled to close on two different days i.e. 8th May, 2007 and 18th May, 2007 respectively. The details of the tender can be accessed from the Hospital website. 4. The Hospital is currently carrying out a Board of Survey to identify the obsolete, surplus, expired and unserviceable stores and equipments that can be disposed off. The Board of survey will make its recommendations to the Director on the best method of disposal. The disposal committee will meet on a quarterly basis, and the information on items to be disposed off will be accessed from the Hospital website.
5. The Hospital has formed various committees to carry out procurement functions as spelt in the Act and Regulations. Some of the committee are:-
The Hospital Tender Committee
The Hospital Procurement Committee
The Hospital Technical Evaluation Committee
The Hospital Quotation Opening Committee
The Hospital Board of Survey (Disposal Committee)
All the above committees are in operation and are carrying out their duties diligently.
6. The department has got 13 stores spread all over the Hospital and are manned by competent officers. The stores receives goods on a daily basis which are inspected by to ensure conformity to the specifications. The stores are issued daily depending on the schedule of the respective stores.
7. The actual procurement and purchasing function is carried out by the procurement section. Their main role is to collect and collate purchase requisitions from the various users and take the necessary remedy depending on the specific request. The other tasks involve scheduling of the quotations, tenders and carrying out market survey to ascertain that goods procured are within market rates/prices. The section is staffed with qualified personnel.
. The Hospital operates under the Hospital Procurement Guidelines.
9. The department strives to achieve the Hospital’s strategic goals and objectives to ensure that the Hospital meets its strategic plan. This is possible through wise leadership, teamwork and motivated personnel.