The department of Orthopaedic and Plaster technology provides diagnosis and treatment of diseases and injuries of the musculoskeletal system – the bones and joints of the arms, legs, spine and related structures such as nerves, ligaments tendons and muscles.
All the members of staff in the department have great expertise in disaster response/management and are key players in the activities of the accident & emergency department.
There are a total of 18 Orthopaedic Plaster Technicians.
There are 4 Orthopaedic Clinicians serving in the department.
Key Activities in the Deparment
1. Handling of all medico-legal cases referred to the department
2. Participation in all activities of the Accident & Emergency department
3. Interpretation of X-rays in casualty.
4. Provision of designated rehabilitative health services in liaison with other departments i.e. Occupational therapy, Physiotherapy and Orthopaedic technology departments.
5. Provision of curative and preventive health services in the designated clinical areas.
6. Keeping proper records of the activities and functions of the department.
7. Provide guidance and instruction to students on attachment/clinical rotation in the department
The staffs all engage in Continuous Education to upgrade their skills and knowledge base. They are also involved as co-workers in research activities.
Number of Patients Attended
The department attends to approximately 1000 patients every month both outpatients and inpatients.