It started in 2001 as a small unit providing peritoneal dialysis and conservative management services and has grown into an ultra modern unit with modern dialysis machines and with specialized personnel.
The unit has a bed capacity with ten and two self contained rooms.
The unit provides diverse services ranging from:
- Conservative management on patients with residual kidney function.
- Acute dialysis to patients with acute renal failure.
- Haemodialysis to patients with chronic renal failure and end stage renal disease .
- Peritoneal dialysis on patients who cannot withstand haemodialysis e.g Children and the elderly. Patients with communicable diseases are put on peritoneal dialysis.
- Preparation of patients for kidney transplant .
The unit has Renal Nurses, Renal Consultants, Pediatricians, Urologist, Anesthesiologists ,Nutritionists, Biomedical Technicians and renal Counselors .This staff work as a team and are referred to as the Renal team.
Many patients who have acute renal failure are dialyzed and most have opened up.
Two successful kidney transplants were done in June 2006.
The unit is aspiring to become a Kidney transplant Centre in the region.
To offer Condusive environment for learning and to be a research centre.
- Dialysis is an expensive mode of treatment and not all patients can afford the service.
- Lack of funds for consumable.